Login |  Register |  help

Courtyard located at the High School…


Your
School District

 

The School District of West Babylon extends from the Great South Bay on the south to just beyond the Southern State Parkway on the north, the community of Lindenhurst to the west and the Village of Babylon to the east.  There are five elementary schools in the district, as well as one junior high school and one high school.

 

Approximately 4,600 students are in attendance in the district’s seven schools.  Over 750 people are employed in teaching and in supplying the necessary services required to educate the young people of West Babylon.

 

In the earliest beginnings of West Babylon, American poet Walt Whitman taught school in the winter of 1836-37, in a tiny schoolhouse said to have been on the north side of Montauk Highway, east of Great East Neck Road.  His parents, Walter and Louisa Van Velsor Whitman, had a farm a few yards away where the Great South Bay Shopping Center is now.

 

The southern end of Huntington Town was established as Babylon Town in 1872.  The first West Babylon school was built in 1880.  Thirty-five students attended a one-story wood frame building on Old Country Road.  The year 1890 saw the competition of a building designed to educate the children of parents who worked on the Belmont Estate, (this building was closed in the school year 1906-07; it later caught fire and burned to the ground).  Other district schools were located on the corner of Elmwood and Farmingdale Roads (Route 109).  The front entrance had two doors; one for boys and one for girls.  This building served as the only school in West Babylon until 1907 when it was replaced by a two-story cement block building on the west side of Great East Neck Road adjacent to the present site of Carousel School.  The Main School was completed in 1930.  Robert Moses participated in the cornerstone laying ceremony of the Santapogue School in the fall of 1951, the school opened in 1952.  South Bay opened in 1953, Forest Avenue in 1956, the Junior High School in 1957, The High School in 1958, Tooker Avenue in 1962, and John F. Kennedy in 1965.

 

For many years, upon completion of ninth grade, West Babylon students attended Babylon High School to continue their secondary education.  However, because Babylon High School could no longer accept our many students, it was necessary in the fall of 1954 to send one class to Amityville High School.  Our own complete secondary program began with the addition of grade 10 in 1955.



Windmill located at the corner of Route 109 and Little
East Neck Road


Town of
West Babylon

 

The hamlet of West Babylon, located in the Town of Babylon, is a neighborhood not only of strong community ties but of devoted individuals and groups who have a passion for preserving the history of its area. Despite its size, being the most populous hamlet in the Town of Babylon at 43,000, West Babylon has retained its sense of history. Formerly a large property designated for the cultivation of tulips, West Babylon has grown into a bustling population center in the Town of Babylon.

 

Distinguished by its strong community ties and volunteer groups, including the Lions Club, Little East Neck Merchants, Taxpayer’s Association, the Beautification Society, and the Parent Teacher Association, the town is devoted to preserving its heritage, and has recently constructed a windmill at the corner of Route 109 and Little East Neck Road in celebration of its history. In addition, Little East Neck Road has been declared as a National Historic Site.

 

West Babylon has bred more than its share of acclaimed individuals. The acclaimed poet Walt Whitman taught school here briefly in the winter of 1836-37. CNBC news anchor Geraldo Rivera originated from West Babylon, as did Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Billy Koch. Jonathan Reese, a star lacrosse player in the NCAA who holds the single season scoring record, also hails from this hamlet.

                                   

From The Babylon Beacon

 

This page was created in 0.3125 seconds on server 132